Affiliations: Department of Gastroenterology and Digestive Endoscopy, Città della Salute e della Scienzadi Torino, San Giovanni Battista Hospital, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
Corresponding author: Andrea Marengo, Department of Gastroenterology and Digestive Endoscopy, Città della Salute e della Scienza di Torino, San Giovanni Battista Hospital, University of Turin, Corso Bramante 88/90, 10126 Turin, Italy. Tel.: +39 0116334605; Fax: +39 0116336223; E-mail: email@example.com.
Abstract: BACKGROUND:Adherence to gluten free diet (GFD) has been the object of many studies but few have investigated its essential requisite: a thorough knowledge of gluten sources. OBJECTIVE:Our aim was to measure celiac patients’ knowledge of GFD and assess its determinants. METHODS:A 20-item questionnaire was submitted to our celiac outpatients who were asked to indicate which foods or situations might be at risk of gluten intake. A 20-point rating scale was built giving one point for each correct answer. RESULTS:154 patients were enrolled. The mean score of the knowledge test was 14.3±2.9. Focusing on the incorrect responses, only 20.8% of them would have placed patients at risk of consuming gluten while the other 79.2% concerned foods or situations that were unnecessarily avoided by the patients. A statistically significant lower score was obtained by patients aged over 60 years (p = 0.0002), without a degree or diploma (p = 0.0016), non-members of the Italian Celiac Association (p = 0.043), who never visited the Association website (p = 0.0002) and never ate outside (p = 0.0009). CONCLUSIONS:We identified some categories of celiac patients at risk of less knowledge of GFD who deserve special training and attention.